Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Hug for Your Head from Laurie Erickson

So, I am sitting in a salon, getting my hair cut. I thumb threw a couple of magazines and a picture catches my eye. It is a gorgeous silk hair wrap by Laurie Erickson! My Mom lost her hair several weeks ago to chemo and she has been struggling to find a comfortable way to tie scarves around her head...especially one that would stay put! And here it was! Not only that...it was free through an amazing program called GOOD WISHES! (http://www.franceluxe.com/i/goodwishesscarves/GoodWishesScarves.html) By the way, Laurie has designed some amazing hair accessories in all kinds of patterns, styles and materials. Visit her site at http://www.franceluxe.com/. It is beautifully done and easy to navigate: definitely pleasurable shopping experience.

I immediately emailed Laurie to request a wrap for Mom. She quickly wrote me back
asking me to pick out a specific color or pattern (WOW! something free and you actually get to pick it out?) I chose something I think Mom would love and feel pretty in. In addition to her very timely and sweet response, Laurie included a copy of a posting she wrote for the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation (http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/) explaining her company and her program. I include it here for you:


I'm very new to the TNBC foundation and am thrilled to have found this resource. As a tech challenged person, it took me awhile to figure out how to even post a message. My name is Laurie Erickson and I am the CEO of a fashion accessory company located in Washington State . A few years ago I launched a program called Good Wishes scarves - a program where my company makes one, free of charge, silk scarf or headwrap for women experiencing hair loss. This program was borne as a result of an email I received from a loyal customer, Hillary, who bought hair accessories from my company. She wrote to our customer care address and asked if we had any products for women who are losing or have lost their hair. I replied no at the time, but offered to make her a scarf at no charge, in a color of her choosing. When her scarf was completed, we had a staff meeting and had a moment for this terrific woman, silently sending her Good Wishes. After receiving her scarf, we communicated from time to time and I told Hillary that should she meet anyone along her journey, who might enjoy a Good Wishes scarf to please let me know and I would happily have our factory make one for her - she told me that her Good Wishes scarf had brought her comfort during her chemo sessions. At a subsequent Chemotherapy session, Hillary met a woman who learned of our fledgling program and requested a scarf - we were so happy to know that our desire to give was becoming a reality.

I have really struggled to connect, to give, to share our scarves with women. It seems so odd to have the ability to give and KNOW the need is out there, but struggle to find the bridge to get that done. Fortunately, I spoke with Malaak Compton Rock earlier this week and she told me about TNBC - I was so happy when we spoke and I said "you're my Bridge!" - she was as always just lovely and helpful and I am absolutely optimistic. My head has been spinning with ideas and so I write to you here to help me spread the word. It’s very simple. My company works with hundreds of different silks and cottons. I will give as much as I possibly can to the community of women who are undergoing or experiencing an event where she is losing her hair. I have two options at this time; a scarf (which can be a bit cumbersome for some) or a headwrap called "It's a Wrap". I will send you one at no charge. We don't have these all up on our website yet at
http://www.franceluxe.com/, but I can send you swatches or a scan of the available fabrics at this time.

If you or someone you know would enjoy either a scarf or an It's a Wrap - please email me at
laurie@franceluxe.com and me and my staff will work to get it done for you.

In closing, I've worked in the fashion accessories industry for over 20 years. It is an honor and a pleasure to put smiles on faces through sharing our work - I believe in the power of sending good wishes.

Thank you and I look forward to working together with you to perhaps send some comfort to women from women.

No comments:

Post a Comment